Mallika is the captain of her school’s varsity soccer, golf, and tennis teams. She also placed third this year in her tennis league and went to the tennis division finals. Her leadership skills are apparent in her athletics (she recruited girls to join the tennis team and supported them throughout the season) and in her community involvement (she’s currently the Student Body President, President of Key Club and a strategy member of the Robotics Club at her high school.) Mallika has received several awards, including the Girl Scouts Gold Award, the President’s Award for Education and Excellence, and the Duke of Edinburgh International Gold Award for Leadership and Service. She’s been committed to the Girl Scouts for 13 years and her involvement included working to raise $35,000 to provide schools in three poverty-stricken villages in Vadodara, India with sanitary bathrooms for boys and girls, water purification systems to reduce illness, additional classrooms, a computer lab, science lab, a library, medical camps, playground equipment and basic school supplies.
Twenty Foot Locker Scholar Athletes will each receive $20,000 in college scholarship money for their excellence in school, on their sports teams, and in their communities.
The scholarship will be awarded in four equal annual payments of $5,000 throughout the winner's four-year college career.
In addition to the $20,000 Foot Locker Scholar Athletes scholarship, one of our 20 winners will also be selected for the Ken C. Hicks scholarship for demonstrating superior educational achievement, outstanding leadership, and a true love of the game. This winner will receive an additional $5000 award (for a total of $25,000). This student will receive their scholarship in four yearly installments, each of $6,250.
In order to be eligible for the Foot Locker Scholar Athletes program, the applicant must:
- Be a current high school senior entering a four-year, accredited US college or university in the Fall of 2018
- Be currently a member (in good standing) of a high school sports team or be involved in after-school sports (e.g. intramurals, martial arts, etc.)
- Have maintained an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher from ninth grade to first semester of 12th grade
- Be a U.S. citizen or US Permanent Legal Resident
- Foot Locker employees and their immediate family members are ineligible