Health Sanitarian Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Plans, develops, and maintains the university environmental health program of basic controls and standards. Prevents public health problems and ensures all health and sanitation regulations are met. Works with independence in establishing and controlling program.
This is a specialized classification and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Periodically inspects campus food handling operations, noting sanitary conditions, and equipment in a written file.
- Recommends actions or improvements to be made in food handling stations or other operations affecting environmental health and sanitation, such as swimming pools and child care centers.
- Consults and advises campus staff and administrators on maintaining a safe, sanitary environment and federal, state, and university health/sanitation regulations and requirements.
- Performs epidemiological studies to determine origin of suspected communicable disease or outbreak.
- Directs and ensures proper handling and disposal of waste.
- Reviews construction plans for new and existing buildings to ensure health standards are met; recommends improvements.
- Writes and submits reports to supervisor regarding investigation and/or inspection results and recommendations.
- Initiates and directs rodent, insect, and animal control programs to provide sanitary environment.
- Conducts training programs to university classes and staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public health sanitation.
- Knowledge of Federal, state, local, and university laws, rules, regulations, and guidelines pertaining to public health sanitation.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
Bachelor's degree in a public health field appropriate to the area of assignment AND three years' experience in administering health sanitation programs; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Certification by the State Department of Health as a
Next: Heavy Equipment Operator Job Description
28 Cellar Rd
Surface Paradise WA 6000
T: (08) 4003 7996
M: 0405 504 045
Health Services Manager
Lister Valley Council
Dear Ms Montague
Re: Environmental Health Officer position
I am writing to apply for the position of Environmental Health Officer at Lister Valley Council as advertised recently on SEEK.com.au.
In my current role as Environmental Health Officer at Meadow Council, I am responsible for the management and implementation of a gamut of local environmental health programs. This includes, but is not limited to, the monitoring of standards for food preparation, the organisation of school and community immunisation programs, the investigation and control of environmental pollution, the management of wastewater systems, solid waste and recycling programs, business environmental compliance, and the oversight of widespread public education programs.
I am responsible for seeking and achieving sustainable environmental health outcomes across the board. This has involved considerable dealings with public health consultants – of which I used to be one – and academics pertaining to the latest research on environmental health policy.
I am fully qualified, with a Bachelor of Science (majoring in biochemistry and physiology) and a Master of Public Health (majoring in environmental health). I am also a member of the NSW Infectious Disease Control Committee, which I helped form in the wake of the NSW floods while working as a public health consultant.
I possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. I have extensive experience in collecting data and writing reports, with sound critical and analytical skills. I am also versed in all legislation relevant to my role, including the Public Health and Wellbeing Act, the Public Health Act, and the Environmental Protection Act.
I am a vivacious and enthusiastic person, with a passion for good health policy and sustainable environmental outcomes. I work well solo, but generally work best in a dynamic team driven by shared goals.
My resume is attached and I look forward to being able to discuss the position with you further.